Another week, another trip to the grocery store – using Nicole’s what’s on sale this week’s list of course! Here are some menu suggestion based upon things that are sale this week or what might be in your cupboards already.
- Crockpot BBQ Drumsticks – Drumsticks are on sale! Buy some for the freezer too. You could also try Oven Fried Drumsticks.
- Tacos – No real recipe here, but Bakers also has taco shells and refried beans on sale. Good week for tacos! I also like this bean dip made with refried beans, salsa & cream cheese. Good football food!
- Chunky Soup Over Potatoes – I admit, this seems kind of weird to me. But it also seems pretty creative. Campbell’s Chunky Soup is on sale, so why not serve it over potatoes (or rice would be good too!).
- Zuppa Tuscana – Let’s see, Bakers has potatoes, kale, bacon on sale – those are the main ingredients in this soup. My husband really likes it – maybe your family will too?
- Hot Ham & Cheese – Or make it turkey and cheese. Or roast beef and cheese.
Are you an apple fan? Like cheesecake? I got a winner of a recipe for you – it’s a little more complicated than apple crisp, but if you prep all your ingredients before you start making it, it does come together pretty fast.
This is a Paula Deen recipe and I usually make it just as she has it, but this last time, I had a bunch of graham cracker crumbs in the freezer (they keep really well – if you’re going to crush just a few, why not a whole box and save them for later?), so this time I did a graham cracker crust. I’ve included both instructions, so you choose!
For me, cheesecake is best cold, so this is something that you can easily make the night before a fancy breakfast or maybe a baby shower brunch. Or even for a dessert.
Caramel Apple Cheesecake Bars
Graham Cracker Crust:
- 2 cups crushed graham crackers
- 4 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup quick cooking oats
Plus: caramel topping
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Make your crust. If doing the graham cracker crust, mix all crust ingredients together and press to the bottom of a 9x13 pan. Bake 10 minutes.
Make your cheesecake filling. In large bowl (I use my KitchenAid mixer), beat cream cheese with 1/2 cup sugar at medium speed until smooth. Then add eggs, 1 at a time, and vanilla. Stir to combine. Pour over warm crust.
Make your apple layer. In a small bowl, stir together chopped apples, 2 tablespoons sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Spoon evenly over cream cheese mixture.
Make your streusel topping. In a small bowl (you can re-use the one you did for the apples), combine all streusel ingredients. Sprinkle evenly with Streusel topping.
Bake it. Bake 30 minutes, or until filling is set.
Serve it. Drizzle with caramel topping.
Jayme is a wife to 1 and, so far, a mother to two little boys. She coupons, but isn’t super extreme about it. She price matches and loves it! While she likes to cook, she’s in the stage of life where simple is usually better! She never knows how many hands she’ll have free at dinner time! You can find her at No Regrets Living.