Want a party in your mouth? Want a great scent coming from your oven? This is a fun breakfast for you. Perfect for a holiday. Perfect for a special brunch. Perfect as a way to say “I love you”. Perfect as a way to say “I love breakfast”.
It’s an even better recipe because its prepped almost entirely the night before, then refrigerated and baked the next day. Wake up, pop it in the oven and let the good smells begin!
French Toast Breakfast Casserole
For the casserole:
1 loaf stale bread (I used French Bread), tore into pieces – I used 9 cups of bread
2 cups milk
½ cup heavy whipping cream
¾ cups sugar
2 tablespoons vanilla
For the topping:
½ cup flour
½ cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon salt
1 stick cold butter, cubed
The night before:
- Grease a 9×13 pan.
- Place the bread pieces into the pan.
- Mix together eggs, milk, cream, sugar, vanilla. Pour on top of the bread. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In a small bowl, mix together the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt. Add the butter and press together with a fork until it comes together. Store in frig for tomorrow.
The day of:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread the topping on top of the bread.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes, depending on how firm you like your French toast.
- Serve warm. Can top with maple syrup – if you want – but I find that too sweet!
Jayme is a wife to 1 and a mother to three little boys (soon to be 4 this summer!). She coupons, but isn’t super extreme about it. She price matches and loves it! While she likes to cook, she’s in the stage of life where simple is usually better! She never knows how many hands she’ll have free at dinner time! You can find her at No Regrets Living.