Watergate Salad. Do you know why it’s called Watergate Salad? It’s because the King of Watergate, back in 1762 discovered that Cool Whip and pineapple were a delightful combination. He had it served to all his visiting dignitaries and after that, he always got exactly what he wanted.
Okay, so I made that story up. I have no idea why it’s called Watergate Salad. But I still love it. And I still think of it as a Thanksgiving or Christmas dish. Not sure why, but I do. And I also love the fact that it’s served cold and best made the day before serving it. Saving you time the day of a busy holiday!
Here’s the recipe my family has always used.
- 16-19 oz whipped topping (2 8 ounce containers of Cool Whip are perfect)
- 1 (3.5 oz) pkg pistachio instant pudding (the smaller size)
- 1 lb pan crushed pineapple (this is slightly less than the cans I find in the store these days; you can use all of it or most of the can)
- ½ cup nuts (optional)
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- In bowl, combine pudding mix and whipped topping.
- Add pineapple, marshmallows, and nuts.
- Refrigerate overnight.
Jayme is a wife to 1 and, so far, a mother to two little boys. She coupons, but isn’t super extreme about it. She price matches and loves it! While she likes to cook, she’s in the stage of life where simple is usually better! She never knows how many hands she’ll have free at dinner time! You can find her at No Regrets Living.