Side dishes! Ugh. They are so easy to get into a rut with, aren’t they? I find myself just picking a bag of steamed veggies or making a salad a lot of the time. They just work. They’re healthy. They’re easy.
And, lately, veggies and salads go great with our recent desire to be gluten-free and dairy-free. But just because you’re gluten-free doesn’t mean you want to be carb-free, ya know? Sometimes you still wanna nosh down something delicious and carb-y and just what you’re used to.
That’s where this Rice-A-Roni comes in for us. There are a few different advantages to making this homemade:
- You probably already have the ingredients in your pantry. No need to remember to pick up a box.
- You can use gluten-free ingredients, making this gluten-free if needed.
- You can customize it if you want more flavor in it by using a really flavorful broth or by using more herbs.
- It’s still really easy.
Try it – I think you’ll really like it AND you’ll really like the flexibility that it gives you.
- 2 Tbsp butter or olive oil
- 1/2 cup spaghetti, broken into half inch pieces
- 1 cup long grain rice (not instant!)
- 3 cups broth (chicken or vegetable) or 3 cups water with 3 bouillon cubes
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
Melt the butter in a large skillet. Add pasta and rice. Cook until just beginning to brown.
Add broth and seasonings. Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to low and cover.
Cook 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until water is absorbed.
Jayme is a wife to 1 and a mother to four little boys. She tries to coupon, builds a smart stockpile, and always meal plans. While she likes to cook, she’s in the stage of life where simple is usually better – she never knows how many hands she’ll have free at dinner time! You can find her on Instagram.