I love recipes that can be made a variety of ways. As in: 1 basic recipe that can be tweaked in a little way to make a slightly different experience. Cookies are great that way – swap M&Ms or butterscotch chips for chocolate chips. Some casseroles are good for that, as well – ham instead of turkey or chicken instead of roast beef. Breads are also good for that – specifically, this banana bread recipe. Today, I’m sharing the chocolate chip version of banana bread.
It’s delicious and kids love it! Chefs love it too because it freezes well and it uses up bananas that might have gone too soft. I love that! This is the exact same recipe as the original, just add in 1 cup of chocolate chips.
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- 1/3 cup butter
- 2 ripe bananas, peeled
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a bread loaf pan (I swear by Pam with Flour!)
- In a mixing bowl, melt the butter.
- Add in the mashed bananas. (I just add the bananas to the bowl and mash them into the butter.)
- Mix in the baking soda and salt.
- Stir in the sugar, beaten egg, and vanilla extract.
- Mix in the flour.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the bread loaf pan. Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and cool completely. Remove the banana bread from the pan. Slice and serve.
- To freeze: Let it cool, wrap up tight in plastic wrap, put into a freezer safe bag. Defrost when ready to serve!
Jayme is a wife to 1 and a mother to four little boys. She coupons, but isn’t super extreme about it. She price matches and loves it! While she likes to cook, she’s in the stage of life where simple is usually better! She never knows how many hands she’ll have free at dinner time! You can find her at No Regrets Living.