I got a thing for buns. They’re carb-y. They’re delicious. They’re yeasty.
I like big buns. (I cannot lie.)
I like hot cross buns. (One a penny. Two a penny.)
I like them with cinnamon on top. I like them with frosting on top. I like them made into garlic bread. I like them made into mini pizzas.
But I really like them when they’re toasted and used for sandwiches.
Please tell me that you’ve toasted your buns before. Please tell me that you’ve slathered them in butter. Please tell me that you’ve stuck them on a cookie sheet. Please tell me that you’ve put them in a hot oven. Please tell me that you let them toast for a few minutes, then remove them.
Please tell me that you’ve done that. And if you can’t tell me that you’ve done that, please tell me that you’ll try it. I can’t say that it will revolutionize your world, but I can almost guarantee that you’ll like it. That you’ll find it worth the few extra minutes it will take to get your buns nice and toasty.
And what should you do with your toasty buns? Use them in BBQ Chicken Sandwiches, of course! It only takes 2 ingredients. And it only takes 2 minutes TOPS to put those 2 ingredients in the slow cooker. And, when cooked, it only takes 5 minutes to shred the chicken and place onto your roasty toasty buns.
Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Sandwiches
In the Slow Cooker:
- 16 ounces barbecue sauce as spicy or as mild as you want
- 4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- hamburger buns
- In a slow cooker, dump in the chicken and cover with barbecue sauce.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-7 hours. When done, it should easily shred with a fork.
- Right before serving, butter both the top & bottom of the buns. Place butter-side up on a cookie sheet and bake at 400 for about 5 minutes.
- Place the shredded chicken on the buns. Enjoy!