This post is sponsored by Hiland Dairy but the content and opinions expressed here are my own.
Homemade buttermilk waffles with ripe berries and fresh whipped topping is our new go-to breakfast recipe. The kids absolutely love it and it’s a quick and easy recipe they can help prepare.
This year I didn’t plan to be homeschooling three kids, working from home, and cancelling all our spring and summer plans. While this year has certainly had its stressful moments, I’ve come to cherish the slower pace of life. With no rush to make it to school or sports and music practices, we’ve found ourselves enjoying the simple things in life – food, family, and togetherness.
One of my favorite things to do since we’ve been home, and not pressed for time to make it to school or work, is to cook breakfast together. My kids love waffles, but they especially love buttermilk waffles. Hiland Dairy buttermilk is the secret ingredient in this recipe, adding incredible fluffiness to the waffles. It only takes a few extra minutes to make the batter from scratch and it’s so worth it.
Skip the maple syrup and top these buttermilk waffles with fresh fruit and homemade whipped topping. (If you have a stand mixer and Hiland Dairy heaving whipping cream, you can make whipped topping in just a few minutes.) The subtle sweetness in the waffles pair perfectly with these toppings. Plus, everyone get an extra serving of fruit in the morning.
My kids are enjoying the weekday breakfasts, baking treats with mom, and sharing more meals together. The slower pace of life has allowed us more time to connect with great food and conversation. Try this waffle recipe for a breakfast treat your whole family will love and don’t forget the chocolate milk!
To help families spend quality time together, Hiland Dairy is offering a chance to win one year worth of Hiland Dairy products and a one-on-one cooking lesson with Chef Alli via video chat. Visit hilanddairy.com/together to enter for your chance to win before July 31, 2020.
Fluffy Buttermilk Waffles and Whipped Topping
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 cup Hiland Dairy buttermilk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 1 cup Hiland Diary heavy whipping cream
- 2 tsp white sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Pre-heat waffle iron.
- Whisk together dry ingredients – flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Whisk together wet ingredients – buttermilk, vanilla, eggs, and melted butter – until well blended.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and stir just until moistened. Do not overmix.
- Add approximately 1/4 cup batter for each waffle on your waffle iron. Cook until done, approximately 5 minutes.
- Chill mixing bowl and whisk in refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Add heaving whipping cream, sugar and vanilla to mixing bowl and whisk on high with a stand or hand mixer until it reaches your desired consistency.
- Serve immediately as a topping for your buttermilk waffles.
Check out more articles: