Oh man, oh man, oh man! Have you seen Nicole’s list of what’s on sale this week for this week? CHOCKFULL of good things at good prices! Get ‘em while you can!
Here are some menu suggestions from what you might buy this week:
- Grilled Cheese Sandwiches – in the OVEN! – Okay, grilled cheese is not a complicated thing to make. It just isn’t. But did you know that you can make them in the oven? You can! I tried it this past week and it was so easy! Since you just pop them in the oven for a few minutes and turn once, it left my hands free to do other things – like get the soup into bowls. And set the table. And fill water glasses. And distract toddlers. So easy!
- Creamy Spinach Tortellini – This will pack some calories on ya, which is good for making it through these cold winter days. But it’s also a good use of spinach that’s on sale at Aldis! If you’re looking for something just a little healthier, try this Spinach Salad with Bacon Dressing.
- Sausage & Egg Casserole – This is good comfort food! Lots of eggs and sausage – breakfast – it ain’t just for the morning anymore!
- Baked Pork Chops – I haven’t tried this marinade on pork chops yet, but I have a very similar one that I use for steak – tasty and easy!
- Slow Cooker Lasagna – this is on our menu for next week! I just made a batch of spaghetti sauce and this will be a good use of it!
Want the taste of pepperoni pizza, but want to do it a little bit differently? Here’s your answer – Pepperoni Roll! This recipe is all over the internet (well, all over pinterest) and it’s so easy. It’s like a pizza meets a calzone. Kind of.
The key to this is to use bread dough, not pizza dough. I tried pizza dough one time, thinking that it’d be the same, but it isn’t. My favorite is the Rhodes frozen bread loaves – it makes a great roll. Just beware that each loaf will probably only feed 3 people (and maybe only 2 if they are hungry teenagers), so you might want to make more than 1 roll at a time.
- Bread Dough (either frozen dough defrosted & risen or a tube of bread dough that you'd get in the dairy case at the grocery store)
- Pepperoni (turkey or regular, sandwich-sized or regular)
- Cheese (probably Mozzarella, but use whatever you like)
- Parmesean Cheese
- Olive Oil
- Seasoning (italian seasoning, garlic powder, oregano, parsley, basil, whatever your taste is for)
- Marinara for dipping
Prep your bread dough (if needed) according to the instructions. Roll out your dough as thin as you can to about an 10x10 square. Since you're going to roll it, you want it then as each piece will really have 2-3 "layers" of dough.
Brush the dough with olive oil (if desired).
Sprinkle with seasonings - I usually just use Italian seasoning & garlic powder, but you can mix & match oregano, parsley, basil.
Lay pepperoni on the dough. Make sure you get pretty close to the edges.
Sprinkle with cheeses.
Roll it up and place on a cookie sheet.
Brush with butter (if desired). I usually do cause it's yummy!
Bake at 375 for about 15-20 minutes. It'll be golden brown when done.
Let cool a little before serving. I like to serve with marinara on the side.
Jayme is a wife to 1 and a mother to two little boys and a third boy due in April 2015. She coupons, but isn’t super extreme about it. She price matches and loves it! While she likes to cook, she’s in the stage of life where simple is usually better! She never knows how many hands she’ll have free at dinner time! You can find her at No Regrets Living.