It’s funny what one person will find intimidating when it comes to menu planning and cooking. Normally, I think I have a pretty good handle on it, but as I start my 6-week maternity leave, I realize that now I’m responsible for lunches too! That’s something that my babysitter normally handles. It isn’t completely foreign to me as I love to use leftovers for lunches, but it is a change to my normal routine. Make sure you check out your local grocery sale ads so that you can make a smart menu plan!
How to Make a Quiche
Here’s a recipe for quiche that can not be easier. Or more versatile. I call it my “Choose Your Own Adventure” quiche because you can choose what goes into it. I’ve written the ingredients list to be intentionally vague. Want to do a ham & broccoli quiche? Great! Want to do an Italian sausage and green pepper quiche? Awesome! Want to do a chicken and asparagus quiche? Tasty! You can use whatever meats, veggies, and cheeses that you want (or that you have on hand)! I did a ham and broccoli quiche earlier this week, using leftover ham from Easter dinner (this is a great recipe to use up leftovers.) I used a combination of Swiss and cheddar cheeses and it was fabulous!
On the eggs, meats & veggies, I put a range of sizes. If you’re using a standard 9-inch pie pan, go with the lower end. But if you have a bigger 10-inch pie pan, go with the upper end – you want the quiche nice and full!
Enjoy this quiche as breakfast or dinner! We prefer to eat this as a dinner with frozen fruit cups for a dessert. The quiche will be delicious whenever you choose to indulge!
Choose Your Own Adventure Quiche
- 9- inch pie crust
- 4-5 beaten eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp mustard (optional – depends on what type of meat you’re using – great with ham!)
- 1 cup cheese
- 2-3 cups of fillings (any combination of cooked veggies or meats)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook the meat & veggies however you like.
- In the pie pan, spread out your pie crust.
- Spread a little bit of the cheese on the bottom of the crust.
- Put the meat and veggies on top of the cheese.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs. Add the milk, salt, pepper, mustard and the rest of the cheese. Mix.
- Pour it all on top of the meat and veggies.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Let reset of 10-15 minutes before slicing. This reheats super well too.
Jayme is a wife to 1 and a mother to four little boys. She tries to coupon, builds a smart stockpile, and always meal plans. While she likes to cook, she’s in the stage of life where simple is usually better – she never knows how many hands she’ll have free at dinner time! You can find her at No Regrets Living.