When it comes to snacking, my husband goes for sweets. Lately, I prefer the savory/salty side of life (my favorite is this bold Chex snack mix recipe.) He isn’t normally a Chex Mix fan – except for this Apple Cinnamon Sweet & Nutty Chex Mix. This one he loves! Maybe it’s the cinnamon in the cereal, but he loves it.
This recipe is straight from the Chex web site. I do make some changes, but I’ve left their recipe mostly unchanged. I typically use cashews instead of the peanuts that they recommend – mostly because that’s my favorite. And I might often use just a little less cereal to make room for more pretzels. Again, because that’s my favorite part. Tasty!
Love quick and easy snacks? Try these 35+ After School Snack Ideas and Recipes that you and your kids will love.
Apple Cinnamon Sweet & Nutty Chex Mix
- 5 cups Apple Cinnamon Chex™ cereal
- 1 cup nuts (dry roasted peanuts are great, but almost any kind of nut works)
- 1 cup mini-pretzel twists
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup candy-coated chocolate candies (aka: M&Ms)
- In large microwavable bowl, mix cereal, peanuts and pretzels.
- In 2-cup microwavable measuring cup, microwave butter, brown sugar and corn syrup uncovered on High 2 minutes, stirring after 1 minute; stir until smooth.
- Stir in baking soda until foamy. Pour over cereal mixture, stirring until evenly coated.
- Microwave uncovered on High 1 to 2 minutes, stirring and scraping bowl every 30 seconds, just until cereal begins to brown. Cool 5 minutes; stir in candies.
- Spread on waxed paper or foil to cool; break into bite-size pieces. Store in airtight container.
Jayme is a wife to 1 and a mother to four little boys. She tries to coupon, builds a smart stockpile, and always meal plans. While she likes to cook, she’s in the stage of life where simple is usually better – she never knows how many hands she’ll have free at dinner time! You can find her on Instagram.