Oooooooooh you guys!!! I have got the BEST simple meal idea for you today. Black bean chicken enchiladas. These babies are the perfect freezer friendly meal, and come together quickly. Sometimes I sort of forget about them for a few weeks (or months) but every time I decide to plug them back into our meal plan my husband always asks me why I don’t make them more often. I really have no good answer, because I wonder the same thing!
When I’m really on top of my game, I like to double or triple the recipe and freeze the extra so that we have an easy option for those times when the day gets away from us or I just have no energy to cook. In fact, I recently invested in a few more glass casserole dishes, specifically with this recipe in mind. I started to realize how much money I was wasting on those disposable aluminum pans just to have a few meals worth of these in the freezer. Now I have a much more economical and environmentally friendly option for keeping my freezer stocked!
I have tasted a lot of different enchiladas in my day, but these truly are the best! Here’s just a couple reasons why:
- My picky kids will inhale them.
- They’re a total crowd pleaser, so great for when you have company, or need to bring someone a meal.
- They are budget friendly.
- They are super easy and quick.
I get asked for the recipe often. While we prefer to eat these with chicken, I’m pretty sure you could put almost any protein in these enchiladas and they’d still be amazing as long as you had the same recipe for the sauce. You can even try our amazing homemade enchilada sauce or our slow cooker black beans (instead of canned versions). Is your mouth watering yet?
One of my favorite kitchen hacks is to bulk cook chicken in my slow cooker to always have on hand for recipes like this. Serve with this 6-ingredient Mexican rice for an amazing meal your whole family will love.
Black Bean Chicken Enchiladas
- 1 16 oz can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 chicken breast cooked and shredded
- 4 oz cream cheese cubed
- 1.5 cups salsa
- 6 medium flour tortillas
- 1 15 oz can red enchilada sauce
- 1-2 cups of cheese for topping
- green onions and cilantro for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- In a medium stock pot or pan add your cubed cream cheese and salsa and simmer over medium heat until the cream cheese completely melts and mixes in with the salsa, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat and add in the black beans and chicken until they are fully coated by the sauce.
- Spoon generous portions of filling into each tortilla, then roll up and place in a greased 9×13 pan.
- Once you’ve filled them all, top with enchilada sauce and then cheese, and garnish as desired.
- At this point you can either freeze to eat later, or bake at 400F for 25-30 minutes. If preparing straight from the freezer you will need to cook 45 minutes to an hour. Serve and enjoy!
Jenny is a wife and stay at home mother of two. She loves good food, and enjoys experimenting in the kitchen. When she’s not busy chasing kids, you can find her digging into a good book, enjoying the great outdoors, and trying not to kill her houseplants.