Get ready for the ultimate comfort food. I know comfort food means different things to different people, but in our house, it means it’s time for some coconut curry goodness! This Thai coconut curry chicken is the ultimate comfort food dish. This recipe is a super easy slow cooker meal that comes together quickly.
Why I Love This Chicken Recipe
This recipe is amazing. Amazing that it only takes 15 minutes of prep. Amazing that the slow cooker does most of the work. Amazing that its ready to go when I’m all out of energy. And amazingly flavorful and filling too! If you’re looking for something a bit different than your typical slow cooker meal, this is the one for you. Give it a try, and thank me later!
How to Make Slow Cooker Thai Coconut Curry Chicken
1. Slow cook the chicken thighs
For this recipe we use boneless, skinless chicken thighs. The dark meat is fatter and juicier than white meat and adds more flavor to this dish. In the slow cooker, combine the chicken thighs with chicken stock, thai red curry paste, soy sauce, maple syrup, ginger root, fish sauce, minced garlic, diced sweet potatoes, and a diced yellow onion. Set the slow cooker on high and cook for 4 hours.
Pick Your Spice Level for This Recipe
Thai curry paste can vary in intensity. Use caution, and start small, especially if you don’t want much heat. I like to add all the ingredients to the slow cooker except for chicken, then taste test and add more if needed.
2. Add Spinach and Coconut Milk
When the chicken is ready, remove it from the slow cooker and shred. Then return it to the pot and stir in the spinach and coconut milk and let sit until spinach is wilted.
3. Serve over Rice
That’s it. Serve over rice, if desired. Check out this freezer hack for rice so you always it on hand. Garnish with a slice of lime and cilantro. That’s it!
Check out more quick and easy slow cooker recipes:
- Hawaaiian Chicken Tacos
- Chicken Shawarma
- Creamy Italian Chicken Pasta
- Beef Barbacoa
- Hot Italian Beef Sandwiches
Thai Coconut Curry Chicken
- 1 Slow Cooker
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 Tablespoons thai red curry paste* see notes
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon real maple syrup or brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon minced ginger root
- 1 Tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 medium sweet potatoes diced
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 14 oz. can coconut milk
- 1 extra large handful of spinach chopped
- cilantro and limes to serve
- Place all ingredients except coconut milk and spinach in the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Cook in slow cooker on high for 4 hours.
- Remove chicken and shred, then return to the pot.
- Add coconut milk and spinach, and let sit for another 10 minutes or so, until spinach is wilted.
- Serve over rice with a slice of lime juice and cilantro
Jenny is a wife and stay at home mother of two. She loves good food, and enjoys experimenting in the kitchen. When she’s not busy chasing kids, you can find her digging into a good book, enjoying the great outdoors, and trying not to kill her houseplants.