Y’all. Y’ALL. Homemade Smoked Salmon Poke Bowls. Need I say more?!? I am a HUGE sushi lover, but it gets so expensive so we don’t get it often. I had heard of making poke bowls but the prohibitive price of sushi grade salmon or tuna in the Midwest put me off to trying to make my own. And then someone suggested using smoked salmon. HOWWWW did I not think of this! Once marinated, the salmon loses the smokey flavor that honestly isn’t my favorite, and all you’re left with is a delicious mouthful of explosive sushi flavored goodness!
How to Make a Smoked Salmon Poke Bowl
A smoked salmon poke bowl is super easy to throw together. You can make homemade rice, use leftover rice or instant rice to speed up the process, and use pre-chopped toppings. When your rice is ready, season it with the rice vinegar and sesame oil.
While the rice is cooking, prepare your salmon marinade. In a small bowl add soy sauce (or soy/coconut aminos), rice vinegar, sesame oil, fresh ginger, honey and sriracha and mix well. Chop up your smoked salmon into bite sized pieces and pour the marinade over it. Let sit in the fridge for about 10 minutes.
What Toppings Are Best for Salmon Poke Bowls?
This salmon bowl is very versatile and you can add your favorite toppings. When I make my bowl I add chopped cucumbers, cilantro, green onions, avocado, and seaweed. Other ideas include shredded carrots or chopped spinach or kale.
Assembling the Poke Bowl
This recipe will make two bowls. Start by adding seasoned rice into two bowls, then top with marinated salmon and your favorite toppings. I’ve tried it with warm rice as well as cold and liked it either way. Feel free to chill your rice if you prefer. Garnish with spicy mayo and serve.
This is seriously so delicious and so easy! If you have leftovers they should probably be consumed within a day, but I can attest they taste just as amazing as when they’re fresh. I still will enjoy my occasional sushi outings, but this quenches the craving for a much more affordable rate. If you’re a sushi lover like me, I highly recommend you give this recipe a try!
More Easy Recipes You’ll Love:
Smoked Salmon Poke Bowl
- 4 cups cooked rice I used Jasmine
- 1 Tbsp. rice vinegar
- 2 tsp. sesame seed oil
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 1/2 cup soy sauce or soy or coconut aminos
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp. wasabi paste or sriracha will work in a pinch
- 1 tsp. fresh ginger grated
Poke Bowl Ingredients
- 6-8 oz. smoked salmon
- green onions chopped
- shredded carrots
- cucumbers diced
- avocado diced
- cilantro chopped
- dried seaweed chopped
- spinach or kale chopped
- spicy mayo or yum yum sauce
- Combine your cooked rice with 1 Tbsp. rice vinegar and 2 tsp. sesame seed oil. Mix and set aside.
- Mix together your marinade ingredients – honey, soy sauce, sesame oil, wasabi paste, and ginger. Pour marinade over chopped smoked salmon and place in fridge for 10 minutes.
Smoked Salmon Poke Bowl
- Fill two bowls with rice, top with smoked salmon, and toppings of choice. Add as much or as little as you want of the following bowl ingredients: chopped green onions, shredded carrots, diced cucumbers, avocads, cilantro, dried seaweed, spinach or kale.
- Top with spicy mayo or yum yum sauce and serve.
Jenny is a wife and stay at home mother of two. She loves good food, and enjoys experimenting in the kitchen. When she’s not busy chasing kids, you can find her digging into a good book, enjoying the great outdoors, and trying not to kill her houseplants.