Holy Shortbread Cookies Batman! Who knew that gluten-free could taste so good! These almond flour shortbread cookies are perfection. Buttery, crispy, just slightly chewy and that salty-sweet combo I love. Plus with only 5 ingredients and 15 minutes you’ve got a super easy, relatively healthy treat ready to go!
When I first had to go gluten-free I mourned for so long thinking I’d never get to eat so many of my favorites ever again. But thankfully over the years I’ve learned to make some gluten-free versions that give the originals a run for their money. These shortbread cookies are no exception. I was honestly shocked at how quick and easy they were to throw together.
How to Make Gluten-Free Shortbread Cookies
To make these 5 ingredient shortbread cookies, just add almond flour and salt to a bowl and combine. Then in a smaller bowl, combine melted butter, maple syrup, and vanilla extract. Add the wet and dry ingredients together until you’ve got a slightly sticky dough. Use a cookie scoop to portion the dough into 12 balls. Place on a lined baking sheet and smashed them slightly flat with a fork.
If you like them on the chewy side, you can leave them a little thicker, or smash them more flat for a crispier cookie. I prefer a slight chewy texture myself so I leave them bigger. They only need to bake for about 10-12 minutes. Then cool for about 5 minutes on the baking sheet before removing to a cooling rack. Don’t try to remove them from the baking sheet prior to 5 minutes or they may crumble and fall apart.
How to Serve Gluten-Free Shortbread Cookies
These can be enjoyed all by themselves just as they are, or drizzle with melted chocolate, or make mini fruit pizzas. The possibilities are delicious! And even if you’re not gluten-free, these cookies are worth giving a shot! My kids and husband who still get to enjoy gluten-filled treats, are obsessed with these. Bring them to your next potluck and I doubt you’ll be bringing any home!
If your looking for some other tasty cookie recipes, try these:
- Chocolate Oatmeal No-Bake Cookie Recipe
- White Chocolate Chip and Butterscotch Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
- Old Fashioned Ginger Snap Cookies
Gluten-Free Shortbread Cookies
- 1.5 cups almond flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup
- 3 Tbsp melted butter
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 325°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine the almond flour and salt.
- In a separate small bowl, combine the melted butter, maple syrup, and vanilla extract.
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry and mix until you have a slightly sticky dough.
- Form the dough into 12 small balls, place them on the baking sheet and flatten slightly with a fork.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until tops are slightly golden. Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes before removing to baking rack to finish cooling. Enjoy!
Jenny is a wife and stay at home mother of two. She loves good food, and enjoys experimenting in the kitchen. When she’s not busy chasing kids, you can find her digging into a good book, enjoying the great outdoors, and trying not to kill her houseplants.