We’ve recently cut quite a few things from our diet in order to identify any food sensitivities a couple of my kids might have. It’s a long process of eliminating a lot of foods, then adding them back in one-by-one to see if there’s any impact. The ingredient that I miss the most? Tomatoes!
In particular, this soup. This soup is tomato-based, but it’s not your cookie cutter recipe. It uses italian sausage instead of ground beef. It has diced tomatoes, but italian style, which adds incredible flavor. It’s just wonderful and I adore it!
I add cheese tortellini to mine, but you don’t have to. It’s great without it, but, with it, you have a very hearty soup in a bowl. Add some garlic bread and you’ll be so satisfied in a comfort food kind of way. I love having it the next day too – even better as the flavors meld together! Make this today!!!
I make it on the stove top in a big soup pot (which, feel free to double or even triple the recipe and freeze the leftovers — yummy!), but you can also do it in the slow cooker if you want. Just cook the sausage & onions and combine all ingredients in the slow cooker. Let it cook for a few hours. Delicious and easy that way too!
Italian Sausage Soup with Cheese Tortellini
- 12-16 ounces Italian sausage (I use the sausage that comes in the rolls, but I've also been known to use link sausage and cut off the casing.)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 6 cups beef broth (or 6 cups water with 6 beef boullion cubes – that’s how I roll)
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans Italian diced tomatoes (can use regular diced tomatoes and add in more seasonings. But I really think the italian style is incredible.)
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 teaspoon basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 can of green beans, drained (or 1 1/2 cups if you have fresh/frozen)
- 8 ounces tortellini pasta (I get mine frozen)
- 1 tablespoon chopped dried parsley
- In a large pot, brown sausage with onion and garlic. Drain.
- In the pot, stir in beef broth, water, tomatoes, carrots, basil, oregano, tomato sauce, and sausage. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Skim fat from the soup. Stir in beans and parsley. Simmer covered for 30 minutes. Add tortellini during the last 10 minutes.
- Slow Cooker Option: Brown sausage with onion and garlic. Combine all other ingredients in the crock pot and cook for a few hours. Just make sure tortellini gets done. You can also boil the tortellini separately and add just before serving.
- Freezer Option: Make soup. Put in freezer-safe containers. When cool, put in the freezer. You can either freeze is individual portions or enough for the whole family for a meal.
Jayme is a wife to 1 and a mother to four little boys. She coupons, price matches and meal plans. While she likes to cook, she’s in the stage of life where simple is usually better – she never knows how many hands she’ll have free at dinner time! You can find her at No Regrets Living.
Check out more delicious recipes: